We are focused on generating a cycling friendly Sydney, and sharing facts and stats is one of the ways we plan to do so.
We all know that cycling is a great way to increase physical fitness, but here are 5 facts about cycling you may not already know…
- Thirty minutes of cycling a day can lower a person’s chances of developing diabetes by 40%.
- Cyclists commuters make up 3% of total road commuters in Australia.
- Owning and maintaining a bicycle costs as little as 5% of the total costs of a car.
- Australian cyclists spend an average time of 230 minutes per week riding.
- According to the Union Cycliste Internationale, cycling could save cities $25 trillion and cut transport CO2 emissions by 10% by 2050.
No, these facts aren’t so shocking, but what may be surprising is that the injury rate of cyclists on Sydney roads rose by 8% between 2016-2017.
We can crusade about the health and economic benefits of cycling, but the hard fact is that this rate will continue to rise unless aggression on the roads is heavily subdued and motorists and cyclists alike learn to share the lane.